Undoubtedly one of the major concerns of the restaurant industry in Spain is to get many customers have stopped coming to restaurants in a usual manner, do it again.
The crisis has struck a very severe form sector, mainly two elements materializing, a decrease in customers and a significant reduction in the average consumption of these.
Thanks to my friends s of AECOC, one of the largest business associations in Spain with more than 25.000 associated, I have had access to the findings of an interesting study that has been conducted under the title "Recovering consumer away from home" focused on the catering sector in Spain.
They have conducted interviews with more than 3.000 consumers in different Spanish cities, specifically in Madrid, Barcelona, Sevilla, Málaga, Valencia, Corunna, Vigo, Bilbao and Balearic Islands, in order to know the motivations that lead to frequent a more usual restaurants.
The main conclusions drawn from this work are as follows:
- 1.-Spaniards eat more away from home, but do not primarily for two reasons, the need to control costs and their desire to follow a healthy, balanced diet.
- 2.- The client calls when you eat out, dinner or a drink, live a different experience that you might have in your home, because otherwise, not offset spending has done in this restaurant.
- 3.- The three areas that customers value most in a restaurant are:
-The picture (cleaning, furniture, decor…)
-Communication with the customer (connect with consumers through different channels ...)
-The quality (in the toilet, products…)
- 4.- For young and middle-aged customers, the main aspect to improve the restoration is to bring the price to quality.
- 5.- For clients older and retired, the aspect that offers greater opportunities for improvement is the staff's attention.
- 6.-For young students are critical promotions and discounts, and are the most used internet to inquire about restaurants.
- 7.-Middle-aged workers and more than 55 years, They are most consumed in restaurants Monday through Friday.
- 8.-Customers under 45 years, They are the most consumed weekends, especially in foods, white hair, snacks and dinner.
- 9.-The main strengths of the sector, as customers are; variety of restaurants and types of food, as well as different prices depending on the time of consumption, Laborable day, Weekend…
- 10.- The main weaknesses of the sector are; high prices, low professionalism and motivation, and a certain stagnation in adapting to new needs in the current situation.
- 11.- All groups are willing to pay more on weekends than on weekdays in every single moment of consumption (breakfast, food, white hair, price…).
- 12.- The average prices that are willing to pay:
-Breakfast: 2,16€ Monday to Friday and 2.54 € weekend
-Food: 8,26€ on weekdays and € 11.63 in weekend
-Price: 11,50€ on weekdays and € 13.36 in weekend
The findings of this study by AECOC manifest some elements we already knew, such as control of spending by customers leading to a decline in consumption in restaurants, but start variables appear that the Spanish client had not had much regard so far.
I mean the nutritional elements of the products they consume in restaurants and their impact on your diet and your health, a trend in other countries is already well established, and the United States, and in Spain it seems to start strongly.
The challenge for the restaurant industry in Spain, It is to create an offer with competitive prices but quality, based on healthy products, homemade and traditional.