When we talk about sustainability in food no podemos pasar por alto las ineficiencias en el uso de la comida que se dan en la industria de los restaurantes. Many times the expected demand does not correspond to the actual perishable ingredients and end up throwing to lose. In other cases it is the negligence of the kitchen staff who ruined the food. And many other occasions the facts that cause food waste it seem out of our control.
What is the economic impact of this problem? The planet is inasumible, as some sources suggest that almost half of the food produced is lost. And for the catering establishment, They should also be inasumible, well any savings in operating a restaurant is an interesting target to increase profit margins.
Put numbers to these realities is what has made the Champions coalition 12.3, a set of individuals and organizations working for achieve the objectives of point 12.3 SDG of United Nations before 2030; that is to say, halving food waste.
They participated in the study 114 restaurants in the world that had invested amounts up 20 000 dollars in the fight against food waste. The immediate results of the study were:
- The return on investment is 7:1
- The amount of food wasted declined 26%
- He 89% restaurants recover the investment in less than two years
It is certainly not spend more money than necessary when avituallar local savings is a way to operate a restaurant obvious. The difficulty is, actually, how do.
Fortunately, The report gives some guidelines for success in this regard:
- Create an inventory of foods and ingredients that spoil so that it can act on inefficiencies, modifying either the letter or purchases from suppliers.
- The practices used to reduce food waste must be shared with the entire workforce.
- Prepare dishes on demand and not in advance.
- Analysis of buying habits and acting on those that result in food waste.
- Finding innovative ways to use the remaining ingredients and food that has remained unsold.
The supermarket chain Tesco e IKEA (which announced it would reduce food waste by half in just three years back in 2017) They have been involved in this study, attesting that the results do not serve pure environmental interests, but there really is a savings opportunity to operate a restaurant (or similar business).
The active participation of the catering industry and hospitality business network would boost the achievement of the objectives set by the United Nations, as their contributions to the problem are much greater than those of citizens. It's time to lend a hand to the planet and start saving a few euros on the local.