In a world interconnected through the network, cyber attacks have emerged as one of the main problems facing entrepreneurs.
Compared to other common threats in the corporate world, strong technological burden of such attacks makes those affected feel frustrated and confused when the security of your business has been questioned. Very often, this frustration arises because of the difficulty of understanding, find and implement a solution to security breach.
In restaurants the situation is not very different from other sectors. The average restaurateur has no advanced computer knowledge and therefore can not face alone the hackers and cybercriminals.
The most viable option that have these professionals is empt possible attacks by pirates and improve cybersecurity restaurant following the usual recommendations industry.
Unfortunately this is a pending issue in Spain and in Latin America. US only. THE. and other leading technology nations, the cybersecurity It is in an advanced state in the sector restoration. Of course, They have not reached that point blithely. This position after a series of events lies with catastrophic consequences, for example:
- Wendy’s was suffering hacking in January 2016 It is affecting a thousand of his establishments
- A year later Chipotle suffer a similar problem due to the installation of POS terminals unsafe
- Whole Foods still investigating what happened in the second half of 2017, when employees suffered because of a malware unidentified
- The drive-in from SONIC exposed the bank details of its users causing quite a stir and economic damage to the fast food chain
- Panera Bread goofed the way down to the not certify that communications carried out with partners they were safe
The list is not limited to these few cases. Other major players in the catering sector have also been adversely affected by the wiles of unscrupulous Internet. Include some: Landry’s, by Dash, Applebees, Dunkin’ Donuts, Zippy’s, Arby’s y Noodles & Company.
As you can distill this non-exhaustive list, Cybercrime is not an anecdotal or unusual problems. Quite the contrary. Thus, It's time to get down to work to give the restaurant a cybersecurity at the height of the XXI century.
Considering seven basic guidelines can substantially reduce the likelihood that our restaurant becomes the target of a computer attack. The following points summarize the roadmap.
- 1.- Detects and analyzes your risk vulnerabilities. There is a risk for each link software O hardware that part of our business. The fewer items you conform, the safer local. However, today is impossible without full of solutions for restoration. This is why we need a balance is found. To conduct a study of IT risk start playing judge which elements are dispensable. Operating systems obsolete and apps abandoned should disappear; similarly, if we have software whose economic impact on the future of the place is very small, It may be interesting to get rid of it. To this list of expendable items must also add checking antivirus and firewall. These specialized cybersecurity programs must be installed on all machines that manage sensitive information.
- 2.- Specific training for the team of the restaurant. In the modern restaurant not enough to have a style manual that describes the correct way be treated diners, or methodology to use when it comes to cleaning cutlery. Training staff establishment should go much further and provide detailed information about your computer. A small percentage improvement in the skill level of employees entails a significant reduction in the risk of exposure to hackers.
- 3.- A vaccine against social engineering. With the rise of dual-factor authentication or multi-level, social engineering has earned a place in the heart of cybercriminals. Thanks to his brash and psychological knowledge, the hackers They can obtain information from employees or even the owner of the restaurant. Sometimes it can be as simple as connecting a USB or a mobile infected computer. the strange requests must be weighed before accepting.
- 4.- Remote backups generates data to prevent ransomware. He ransomware It is a computer attack in which hackers content block data in the computer and ask for a ransom to free access to all this information, that the restorer can be crucial. Imagine that a cybercriminal is done with the data of our customers, so we can not set up new marketing campaigns by email. To avoid being in this predicament, You can store information redundantly, having a backup remote hosted on a secure server. Thus, if only attack we need to format our system and re-dump our information.
- 5.- Implemented a policy of password management. It has complex passwords, long and combine different types of characters. Prevents words that can be found in the dictionary and do not repeat the same combination on different platforms. Using a reputable password manager may be interesting for those with fear of forgetting some of these important codes.
- 6.- Active safety protocols if necessary. If everything exposed so far, the computer attack has been inevitable, the best you can do to alleviate the damage caused is to have a protocol that protects your restaurant, people who work there and the clients that give service. Note that on many occasions hackers They are not behind your information, but pursue the data of those who visit your restaurant.
- 7.- Be advised by professionals in the sector. Cybersecurity is a complex and constantly changing field. It is impossible for a restorer get to know in detail all the intricacies of this world, so the restaurant will always be exposed through a chink in the code of your appliances or protocol using the same. It enlist the help of professionals who are confronted daily with these conflicts is a safe bet.
Following these tips will be in a better position when fighting against hacking. In any case, to emerge unscathed from the attacks is also needed a good dose of luck. Would not have problems!