In these modern times we have lost the simplicity with which we could promote a restaurant. Talking to locals, local businesses and put a couple of ads at strategic points is not enough. To connect with customers must know their tastes, style, economy and times, and provide a service that meets all fronts.
While disappeared traditional advertising strategies, They have appeared powerful tools capable of evaluating the common characteristics of our potential clientele in great detail, so that connecting with people more susceptible to visit our shops is matter of inventiveness and commercial rhetoric.
It is not easy. Trends extract a welter of data it is something that requires, at least, a basic understanding of several statistical techniques and versatility when find valuable information in databases that a priori seem useless. Who has these capabilities you can put your business restoration to the head of the pack.
Emily Andrews, Company information interpreting Records Finder, recently shared with some industry professionals Data Sources little explored in the world of restoration they can offer an interesting perspective on our business. The explored in detail below.
Implementation of open data sources in decision-making in restoring
What is the reason why our establishment is not working as it should?
This is a difficult question to answer. They can be one or more factors, among the usual culprits are:
- The schedules opening and closing.
- Items represented in the menu and prices.
- The offers promotional force.
- He style, room and restaurant service.
Act blindly on any of these items is an option, although admittedly inefficient. Smarter is available data to enable decision making for results, accurate and effective. For example:
- Dispose of information about the workforce, the population pyramid of the place and the overall timetable of the area (schools, major industries, etc.) you can design the local schedule so that it suits the needs of residents.
This business model has been used successfully by 'A top Barril’ in Vigo, selling its exclusive and enxebres empanadillas in a small timeslot. Customers are completing their university classes and walk back home.
- The information on the labor force and income levels premises are suitable bases to start modeling the items included in menu. In an area with low incomes will have to serve cheap meals charming appeal large volumes of diners.
Conversely, in areas of great wealth, exclusive meals offer higher margins allowing the restaurateur to focus not only on purely gastronomic aspects but also in promote the popularity of the local. It is the case Ramses Life, located in the Puerta de Alcalá (Madrid), where, with their menus 200 € per person, only select guests are cared for without impacting on business benefits.
- Health statistics are publicly accessible beads contain hidden information. He degree of incidence of obesity in a local population, often segmented into age groups, talks about the amount of food that should hold our menus or the convenience of having portions of various sizes to optimize sales restaurant.
It's no secret that American fast food franchises like Papa John’s Y Popeye’s They focus their marketing efforts to communities with poor food cultures, strategy criticized in a society where being overweight is epidemic.
On the other hand, he percentage of smokers It is vitally important when deciding whether a dining area is segregated for smokers or non-diners.
- Family statistics, the birth rate, the school population and the ratio between unmarried couples and single adults also They help during the decision-making. Is it worth offering a family atmosphere? What about children's menus? Does spreads offer bonuses for large families?
Unfortunately, these data are not easily locatable. Collection of useful databases can be left to professionals but, if this is not an option, can be consulted countless sources of open data or open data.
These sources differ in geographical area (international, national and local), as well as the origin (collected by private or public bodies) and in the form of access (free or application), among other peculiarities.
The following list is not exhaustive compilation of open data sources that are considered of interest:
- Open Data sources in Spain of Public Data Initiative which brings inter alia the budgets of Local Authorities, Barometer quality of life in municipalities with large populations, Socioeconomic Information System of the General Council of the Judiciary and many more.
- Databank Center for Sociological Research, based on questionnaires completed from 1963, It contains all kinds of information invaluable to the restorative as the benefits perceived by the population to eat in bars or restaurants, comparisons of assistance to bars and restaurants after the entry into force of the Law of Snuff, or the usual companions during a meal away from home; to name some of the relevant inquiries among the thousands of existing questionnaires.
- Services of the National Institute of Statistics, which besides offering general survey results on service sector, and about hospitality and tourism, also providing data concerning census, population figures, population censuses, and statistical operations INE executed periodically.
- Data of the Technological Center of Information and Communication (CTIC) with supranational scope, information provided by the initiative open data Government of Spain, international databases of the World Health Organization (WHO) and a plethora of possibilities.
Restaurant optimize sales interviewing customers themselves
A brief and to the point need not be intrusive. Do questions about the quality of service, the products offered on the menu and the perceived user experience by the diner itself positions the ruler of a catering business as a businessman concerned about customer satisfaction.
Of course, not all customers are willing to spend their time in completing a survey. For it, it is recommended to offer some kind of compensation or incentive. In a relaxed atmosphere, You can choose to offer a cap in exchange for a written record of the opinions held about the restaurant.
This works well with regular customers with whom, although there is no familiarity, itself has established a relationship between customer service and. A discount coupon or inclusion in a plan of bonuses are two strategies employed across the planet to get restaurant users grant to the demands of the owner.
The opinions of customers are crucial for a restaurant, but to get all the juice to this tool must know what to ask. And how to ask! Do not overwhelm customers with questions, some are selected and others are reserved for a future occasion.
Apply first personal data such as name, your adress, profession and age It is a good way to remove iron case. They intimidate some people when faced with a questionnaire and this can the skew information collected. In this sense, it is more profitable to perform a custom communication with the interviewee, develop a bond of trust with this and downplay the procedure.
Questions may elicit more information about the deal number of healthy choices, the pros establishment, The cons, timeout and correction service. A question that should never be missing is whether or not the customer recommend a well-known local.
In any case, remember that This methodology is not without limitations. Diners rarely leave their comfort zone and, Besides, it is impossible to achieve knowledge not have, but perhaps the restorer expected to have.
In the acclaimed book marketing and positioning Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind, Al Ries, Jack Trout y Philip Kotler, demonstrated that a large number of people who do not answer with complete honesty, so it is mandatory to glimpse the core content hidden in the background of the answers.
A small scale these questionnaires can be made by the restaurant staff but, as increases in reserves or number of attendees, it can be necessary automate the process. For this there are wonderful applications bread, Loop Survey O GoSurvey, to name a few.
Other strategies to create our own database
The data we need to improve business performance They can come from the most unlikely places.
Some examples worth having in mind are:
- The study of analytical drawn from our ad campaigns online. These statistics can provide demographic data, the origin of the search or the interests of diners. In more complex synergies with other macro data can be detected market sources inescrutadas.
- The Field tests They require a small change and estimate the impact, positive negative, it has on turnover. To optimize sales restaurant definitively they are put in place changes that generate additional benefits, that seem insignificant percentage increases, by accumulating small changes we can talk about amounts of relevance. This technique works best when several local are managed within a string, because in this way the noise caused by small variations is removed beyond our control (social events, weather, economy and the like).
- forming a grupo focal They can also be obtained price reviews, the variety of products and even taste the same.
understand that even the most unexpected data can help promote a restaurant and optimize sales business It is the first step. The implementation of actions aimed at these objectives can not be as direct and pose a difficulty to consider.
Touch be patient and investigate the data or, If no other choice, hire the services of an outside professional. The benefits will not wait.