the Coronavirus (SARS-2 o 2019-peak) is one of the many viruses Coronaviridae family affecting birds, and various mammals urchins, pangolin and bats. When they break the border between animals and humans, sintomatologías people often have more or less serious respiratory.
He coronavirus we have a great capacity concerns of contagion, but causing disorders are rather mild. Proof of this is that the average profile of deaths is that of an octogenarian person with previous health problems.
So good, the mildness of cases should not be misleading. If the number of infection becomes very high, so will the dead. And if the peak is reached coronavirus cases too fast, the national health system can not copar with all critical cases. Hence they are essential prevention measures, containment and disposal. Even more so when we know little about the body in question.
While the situation in Wuhan y Hubei (China) it stabilizes and the number of new cases reported daily ceiling touches, clear indication that the situation is controlled, it's time for Europe to show that it can take appropriate action to end the crisis.
Italy was the first country to face a difficult situation. Currently, with nationwide quarantine, It serves as a reference for what you can get to France and Germany, and also to Spain, Of course.
In just a few days we have witnessed remarkable changes in the way he was managing the problem in our country. From one day to another Madrid and La Rioja They have canceled classes, capital and social events have been canceled or suppressed up to a third of its initial capacity. The Madrid Stock Exchange has also suffered the largest drop in its history.
It is expected that similar measures be imported to other regions. It's not about scaremongering, the scenarios have changed and therefore have to change actions.
But ... What does this mean for the professional restaurants and the world of hospitality? Needless to investigate to realize that There is little good news. Nevertheless, for those businesses looking normal, in this article we will discuss clearly the current circumstances in the industry and what action is necessary to accommodate the workspace to ensure the welfare of workers and customers.
Contraction of economic activity in restaurants and catering businesses
There was no need for a panic demand in restaurants and hotels descended. The most affordable care to the general population is a self-imposed confinement. Even when this is not total, the first sacrifice is anything that does not represent a vital necessity. And go eating out is not a matter of life or death.
When they released the first cases in the Spanish Levante, the impact of the news barely had impact. Some restaurants like Valencians Honoo, the tuna O the winery Anyora They were operating as normal, in any case pending developments arrived from the Business Federation of Hotel Valencia (FEHV), especially those that materialize as specific protocols.
Despite earlier cases, all it unfolded as usual. Nevertheless, the cancellation of a trade electronics major consumer of the planet, he Mobile World Congress from Barcelona, He sets the alarm on everyone's lips.
According to the booking portal Mirai, They trusted by more than 1500 hotel brands, "The cancellation of the Mobile World Congress became Speaker of Spain: since then, conversion notice downs'.
The cancellation of this event has splashed many other industries, and of course also to the world of gastronomy. It has been postponed both the celebration of the fair Alimentaria-Hostelco Barcelona as the Hall Gourmets from Madrid. Luckily and time, only postpone, interested parties may attend between the 14 and the 17 September in the case of the event based in Catalonia, and between 15 and the 18 June when we talk about the living room.
That same uncertainty is what has caused a critical period for restaurants as far as billing is concerned is completely disrupted. Spring is generated around a 30% of the total turnover of the year, but this 2020 promises to be different.
Large cities depend on tourism to place their service offerings, and the tourist influx challenged, no good prospects. In cities like Sevilla, there could be a drop in the 60% of foreign tourism, vital to the city. For cancellations of Chinese travelers and Italian, now join the US and other European citizens.
Sevilla also has been hit by the cancellation of scientific and professional conferences. Companies and institutions are the first who want to protect their human resources, especially when it comes to highly skilled workers.
The situation, From the first moment, It has been negative. Foresees a freezing reservations which will extend over a period of several months and could be charged if the Holy Week processions and other celebrations typical of these dates just canceling.
According to Antonio Luque, President of the Association of Innkeepers, "We are at the gates to start the season and if fewer tourists come, we will go wrong ".
And everything suggests that the congregations of Holy Week will, effectively, canceled. As it has happened with the Carnival of Venice, sporting events or failures. While in Italy it observed a drop in the 60% of reservations in hotels and restaurants, a different situation in Spain is forecast: reservations are already made (some establishments were the 90% Of occupation), but now will come one wave of cancellations will approach the 80% of the total.
Are not wealthy Chinese tourists, and now also the arrival of French and German are expected, who form the bulk of the Spanish tourism. "Giving a negative view of the sector is to increase the problem", emphasizes the current president of the Federation of Hotel and Tourism of Las Palmas, José María Mañaricúa; but it is hard not to join this fear when all the evidence points in the same direction: giants of the hospitality sector AC Hotels Y NH They have already put on the table opportunities for workers to avail themselves vacation plan now, mitigation an attempt to alleviate the economic losses resulting from the outbreak of coronavirus. And the Rumors of temporary ERE and cut through the air ...
The public health problem associated with the new virus not only cause economic problems from the point of view of client relations. Organized major brands of restoration have been forced to Cancel strategic meetings. Denny’s He has canceled a conference call with investors and KFC They have received notice from the parent company, Yum Brands, to avoid unnecessary travel.
In summary, These are the main fronts facing restaurants during these difficult times:
- Wealthy tourists from China disappears
- Tourism from Europe dwindle critically
- It is expected that tourism from EE. THE. suffered a heavy blow in the coming weeks
- About a third of local consumers will stop eating out coronavirus
- More than two thirds of local customers could miss the restaurants if the crisis deepens
- The population is changing their habits to adapt to new circumstances
- Services Delivery of food will always reinforced as their activity is not paralyzed.
- Restaurants base their business model on the sales on-premise will receive the hardest brunt
- Fast food chains could benefit the given ideal circumstances to enhance their efforts to implement systems like the takeaway and home delivery food
What it seems less likely continue continuing attacks on Asian business now the epidemic has reached the global stage.
In the first moments questionable instances promoted were experienced by underlying racism and misinformation to which the population is subject. When cases Wuhan They were the talk of all, Chinese and Japanese restaurants in New York experienced a sales by 60% below normal.
In Spain the media had to come to the aid of the Asian population residing in the country. And in France the situation was not much different, Yuki restaurant in Paris, specializing in Japanese fusion food, day dawned with graffiti alluding to the coronavirus.
Fears of the population have had to be appeased in some cases with important personalities words. in EE. THE. nervousness was such that the former presidential candidate Michael Bloomberg, a billionaire of the Democratic Party, I had to allay the fears of voters indicating that it had plans to dine at a Chinese restaurant after finishing with the municipal meeting in which he was being interviewed by Fox News.
Even in East Asia they have been spared the Chinese to be judged without reason. In the city of Hong Kong, besieged by the central government of China for months, some restaurants were refusing to serve the citizens of mainland China. At least 100 restaurants were discovered carrying out these practices in an investigation led by the Society for Community Organization (Punch). Spokesman Richard Tsoi Yiu association-cheong commented on the respect restaurants must be participants of public health measures, but its course can not take away rights to citizens or discriminate against them.
preventive measures to be implemented in the restaurant against coronavirus
Government agencies have been quick to make recommendations on material health. Hospitality Spain has launched a series of infographics that summarize the most important actions, namely:
- Installing disinfectant gel dispensers available for workers and users of the establishment
- Disinfection process hollowware and cutlery temperatures above 80 degrees Celsius
- Wash linens, serviettes and workwear at temperatures above 60 degrees Celsius
- Cooked food at temperatures above 70 degrees Celsius (the coronavirus is not a foodborne disease, but there may be cross-contamination)
- Preserve the cold chain and keep food preserved physically protected at all times by containers
- Limit the handling by customers and avoid sharing food or trousseau
- Keep your distance, minimize physical contact and wash hands with soap and water frequently
- distancing measures must be tightened when the interlocutors people showing signs of suffering from a respiratory condition
- Regularly clean the areas likely to be gripped or frequently used
These measures are inherited from the World Health Organization and Ministry of Health. In other parts of the planet, official recommendations differ minimally. For example, he Center for Disease Control and Disease Prevention (CDC) US. THE. It recommends further that:
- All personnel must know in detail the hygienic protocol, the chemicals used and the frequency with which they should be used
- The process of hand washing should last less 20 seconds and made with antibacterial soap and hot water
- They should toughen the requirements on personal hygiene, one that takes place outside of the workspace
- Employees should avoid touching your mucous if it's been a long time since the last time you washed your hands
- If a worker is going to sneeze or cough it is preferable that it does in a tissue, when this is not available it done on the fabric of her sleeve up to the forearm; the hand should not be used
- N95 masks, N99 and P95 prevent the transmission of coronavirus, use can be justified in high-risk areas where it also has a high influx of clientele
Some large companies in the catering sector have already made changes in its mode of operation to reassure diners. It is the case Starbucks, which it has been operating in conflict zones of China and EE. THE (specifically in Seattle).
Starbucks has experienced a decline in sales of the coffee 78% in China during the month of February, and the second quarter does not look very flattering, it is anticipated that turnover is only 50% from last year. All this despite the 90% their premises are operating.
Starbucks measures taken are very similar to those already exposed, but include the following:
- All workers pass through daily monitoring of body temperature and wear masks at all times
- There is a security station prior to the foyer where guests are also tested for fevers rule
- Establishment of the protocol Contactless Starbucks Experience which prevents contact between workers and clients
- Improved disinfection processes and sanitizing ingredients, equipment and tools involved in the preparation of coffee
- The layout of the tables has distanced
McDonald's has also been slow to adopt new measures to combat coronaviruses and minimize to the maximum economic losses. On the one hand they have created a group of internal decision by all related to the SARS-CoV-2, while in the home side have soap dispensers installed in the kitchen and in the lobby, at the same time as cleaning reinforced.
One of the points that are less in consideration, However, is the delivery of information to the consumer. This is an aspect on which there is also often act as the customer is the person who feels vulnerable when submerged in the sea of misinformation that are social networks and the media these days. Back to normal can reactivate their everyday habits affect consumption and better economic profile for businesses to interact with.
And always, always, we must remember that stop this epidemic is everyone's responsibility. We hope that with this article our readers know what to expect and what action to take depending on local circumstances at all times. Thus we have no doubt that they can not just wish your good diners profit, but also good health.