We return to our adventure! The above article led us to create a laboratory a bit special. That is why today, thanks to the interviews of foodies and information obtained from them, let's go out to contrast, enlarge, validate and strengthen the data we collect.
While it is true that the interviews provide valuable information, by grace or unfortunately, Sometimes what we do not conform fully to reality. What we are is our perception and that perception is not entirely truthful or just lie sometimes ...! Pious or unconsciously, maybe, but we lie. Take the verbatim without contrast these interview data, It is a common risk and if there something we have been reflecting from the first article is that nothing can be taken for granted.
Let's do an exercise immersion. We will dive into their world, we mix with them and they, los foodies. We need to see for ourselves how they behave in situ: your needs, what satisfies them and how they react in their field. It is working on its authentic context.
The group that lovers in search of authentic experiences, related to good food, good drink and / or indigenous and unique culture. And so we move away from technical, traditional statistics and analytics. We cannot know them based solely on figures and assumptions ... We have to experience its essence.
So that, to continue this exploration phase in which we must understand and observe the foodie, we will use a tool that will turn us into a mixture of Sherlock Holmes and the invisible man: Shadowing technique. But, What we mean by this?
Shadowing is an observation technique "passive". In our case it is based on becoming the shadow of foodie that you look, as unobtrusively as possible. Without her or him know what, follow him in every step; perceiving, absorbing and noting even the smallest detail. its guidelines, your hobbies, their repetitive and almost liturgical steps or unexpected twists and improvised, so common in this group Or so we think! Now finally let's check.
Three advantages and three disadvantages to consider
- Advantage 1. Is Further other techniques such as, for example, interviews or Map of empathy. That provides extra information and insight less biased
- Advantage 2. To observe and collect that information directly, these data are immaculate, no additives or added. And that significantly increases its value
- Advantage 3. If you record this sequence, the scene can repeat it over and over again. It is always alive and you can use it throughout the process and in addition to other actions or techniques.
- Inconvenient 1. Eye! It can be a bit invasive. We must be discreet and respectful information collected. We should not reflect personal information that identifies you, let alone disseminate, unless the person in question allows us.
- Inconvenient 2. You need a good preparation. We are playing the role of detective sharpest and we know where and what time the events will occur. We prepare the scene to capture everything.
- Inconvenient 3. It requires modus operandi plus complex. If the conversation were planning stages and appropriate questions in interviews, in the Shadowing it is necessary to consider many more factors.
Steps and programming of Shadowing
In order to reach a realization of this technique successfully, we will develop a indicative programming which can be modified according to the specific needs of our target:
1.- Identification Challenge / Target
This is perhaps the most important part. If you do not know where we want to go, hardly get anywhere. We want WHAT?: Create a new product, service, deal, route, experience, identify an unmet need in our area; and for foodies.
2.- Who are we going to watch
Prepare this profile (we have the map of empathy, you remember? Aitana or someone similar)
3.- Where and when
Identifies the scenario where will carry out observation and defines the time judiciously. It may be that at a given time there are no customers from the foodie group or that their needs vary and observations must be made.
4.- The learning
we collect data. The goal is that we differentiate between what we discovered we did not know, what has surprised us with the data collected (this unexpected finding about the foodies), do you think you have missed and what questions you have arisen from the Shadowing.
If you have a chance ... after watching talk to your foodie observed. Tell him you're researching and contrasts with her or him your questions.
I recommend you make a template with these 4 previous steps, for example, on a sheet of DIN A3 and use post-it to go completing with each thing. Then take a picture of the completed template and the template used again with new post-it to observe other foodie.
Another recommendation is to use media for observation. You can record a video with mobile, always without losing discretion ... the character of detective, but you do not need to use gabardine (hehe). Note that, as we mentioned having an audiovisual document recorded and saved as a resource, you simplify observation. But if you do not see fit, You can go two to make Shadowing to ensure it will not leak anything.
What will we do then with the outcome of this sleuthing, of and foodies? That'll tell you in the next episode.