According to data recently published by the Economic Research Service of the Department of Agriculture EE. UU., of every dollar shelled out by the final consumer only 7.8 cents end up in the hands of farmers.
What's going on? It is perhaps the result of some trick of wholesale markets? Perhaps the high automation and monocultures have ended up sinking prices overproduce? Can food producers are at the tail of a whole intricate network of intermediaries and inefficient inflating the final amount?
The answer to all these questions is yes. Nevertheless, this does not mean they are the main reason that is put into question the sustainability of the system.
According to the agency previously mented, the data reflect a change in behavior and customs of society. We are in the generational change. The millennials those who are endiñaban the problems of today's world are now one of the forces pushing the economy and one of the main demographics in the workplace. Is the group of people who has real transformative capacity on the law of supply and demand.
Just a few years ago it was normal to buy vegetables, vegetables, meat unprepared, ... Fish Fever supermarkets changed the rules of the game. Prepared food, ready to be reheated in the oven, Express way cooked or cooked in the microwave in just a couple of minutes meant a saving of unmeasurable time for a society in which the demands at work were sky.
And when it seemed that was the last stop, they arose fast food restaurants, the take away and all sorts of hybrids that have returned to change the urban setting. If before eating was something that was done in the privacy of home, now it is increasingly rare to see someone feasting a bowl of mixed salad when directed somewhere walking down the street, sipping coffee design while waiting to cross a traffic light or cuddling with a serving of meat of the highest quality made barbecue and pre-sliced for consumption in the office does not have disastrous consequences.
A common sight in the US. THE. that is becoming increasingly common in hispanosfera.
Of course, These facilities increase the final price and, as it will be logical also to the reader, food producers do not benefit from this increase in the amount they are not involved in the provision of value added.
So far so good. Nevertheless, the data, They are covering a quarter of a century, They start to outlining trends worrisome. For example, comparatively, the perceived value of the services provided by food producers in the primary sector plummets. Does this make sense? No agricultural or livestock farms would not be processed products so the role played by these professionals is critical and fundamental.
- Catering services and food is carry a 36.3% from the cake.
- The food industry responsible for processing obtains a 15.2%.
- The retailers are carried 12.4 cents of every dollar.
- Wholesalers supplying the above obtained one 9.1% the final amount.
- Legal expenses, Packing and transportation, as well as promotion together account dearer 17.1 cents on every dollar of food.
How you can return to the primary sector for the economic benefit fair share?
Worth checking out the food costs in California. In this state farms are closer to consumption points so transportation expenses are lower.
This difference sheds light on one of the social responsibility measures being promoted in more recent times: consumption of local products. The movement has a name disintermediation and their advocates usually have a well-defined profile, all of them are farmers and farmers. So anyone who has dealt with some farmer in your life will also be heard any complaints about wholesalers and intermediaries. For workers in the sector, deal directly with the end consumer is a dream. A dream that almost never met.
The restaurant world can benefit greatly from this spirit of independence that prevails among professionals in the field:
- Local products have a special demand among the population, and may employ their inclusion in promotional dishes such as chicanery.
- The economy relies environment. A healthier economy often affect a larger volume of business. It is shown that socio-economically depressed areas are authentic deserts as far as consumption is concerned restaurants. A poverty-stricken community is a community that is forced to opt for the solution of lower economic impact, and this usually cook at home.
- Prices They are lower than those offered by the usual suppliers. In some areas of EE. THE. Fig of RSA is appearing (supported agriculture restoration). Those restaurants involved perceive significant economic advantages that increase profit margins in establishments.
- the relevant social responsibility is exercised by contributing to the sustainability of the system (Farmers usually charge more without the product is more expensive for the restaurant) Y care for the environment minimizing transport (and consequent energy expenditure, either in the form of fossil fuels or electricity) Y maintain the natural balance who have reached the farms with the wild world over the last two or three centuries.
- facilitates differentiation from other local by using ingredients whose availability may be reduced or absent in the markets or in other cities.
While solutions to the problem are still fuzzy, which itself is completely defined it is that the problem will worsen. And it will do so at an accelerated pace as new generations begin to decide what to incorporate your shopping list. The demand for prepared foods, instantaneous or substitutes only increases.
But even if someone wants to actively fight this scenario underestimation of the primary sector, it is difficult. Patrick Canning, chief economist at USDA, explains that "At a certain point, even in the case of home food, we began to see more and more processed postharvest ". Nothing better than an example to contemplate the vileness of the situation: in EE. THE. leafless corncobs are sold or natural; It is their similar cost, Nevertheless, the farmer gets 17 cents for the first and 60 the second ...
Where is the limit of what we can ethically we coddle? As of this writing I can not help but remember some oranges whose skin was the acme of imperfection, marooned at the grocery store because no one wanted, to proudly reaffirm its ugliness turned out to be the sweetest author has tried in recent years.
The ability to change a failed system resides in us, you just have to dare to seize the opportunities that present themselves.