Fast food restaurants United States again mark a record of dubious merit. He programa JOLTS (Job vacancies and staff turnover rate), under the Office of Labor Statistics of the United States, It shows once again a record high in 2018, after already you break forth in 2016 Y 2017.
The new peak indicates that to fill the positions of an establishment will go through the local one 150% more workers.
Fast food business in the United States are in a tricky crossroads. On the one hand, are the Givers main bidders and youth employment. College stories that may correspond payments on their student loans through these franchises are numerous.
They not usually tell stories nostalgically, yes, since to maintain competitiveness and profit margins It has increased the application of technology in the restoration and demands at work, but not wages.
With each news, he Collective # Fightfor15, a eminently digital community which it aims to achieve a fair hourly wage (15 dollars an hour), He comes to the fore and reopens the debate.
Far from what might appear at first, those responsible for restaurant chains are not the main opponents in this race to raise the earnings of workers. Public opinion is against the idea. Some of the arguments used against him are:
- It's a job for teens.
- It is a job that requires little training and it is of little importance.
- Increase the cost of development direct impact on the consumer.
Some of these assertions are realized from a distorted understanding of reality itself.
With regard to the first block of complaints, While fast food restaurants help lower youth unemployment and provide jobs that do not require experience, assign a pejorative connotation or belittling the adolescent is a self-injurious behavior. further, he 55% of workers in these businesses is in the demographic segment running from the 35 to the 45 years.
The last point is also curious. A recent study shows that increasing the minimum wage in a reasonable manner (for example, until the 15 proposed $ # Fightfor15), increase the price of a hamburger in just 16 cents. What would be the acceptable limit to maintain work ethic in industry fast food? Less than 0,16 Dollars, apparently.
The growing unrest that produce low wages in the union is accompanied by greater demands. Appreciating the development of the activity requires little training and is not important is no longer valid.
With the implementation of new technologies such as online ordering and using tactile sale point terminals, the bitch learning must address novice workers is steep and prolonged.
Growing pressure for higher productivity
For many, these emerging powers and growing pressure for increased productivity are the straw that breaks the camel. When the amount of work becomes untenable three things can happen:
- Increased Discontent staff. May cause deterioration of quality of service. Undecided customers are one of the risk groups, to suffer cutting deals, rough or pressure by members of staff.
- Increased number of errors. Having excessive urgency when performing a task, make it simple, usually brings as counter unexpected result, he increased mistakes made. In a study in the journal QSR Magazine in collaboration with the statistical agency is Insula Research shows that a 10% of orders on hand are served incorrectly.
- Increased staff turnover rate. When the pros are clearly outweighed by the cons of work (injury, stress, not meeting targets, low profits, etc), it is logical that the worker look for greener pastures.
Unemployment is no longer preclude the dissatisfied worker leaves work coverage. The staff turnover rate increases to the limit (and we are convinced that it will continue to do) and the Service shows no improvement.
Recently it has been known that, despite the latest developments in technology in the implanted restoration, the waiting time has increased half a minute. Why? Because workers do not have enough experience.
The volatility and lack of loyalty of human resources in fast food restaurants have caused, no matter how many technological innovations, the service provided, user experience and sales do not improve.