The effects of music on consumption They are not sufficiently studied. Although the phenomenon is documented for decades, this field at the crossroads of human psychology, the sociology, economic and market analysis has not received the attention it should.
If it fits, ignorance of the possible applications music restoration It is even greater. If you know, for example, what prosocial songs with lyrics can promote responsible consumption. A recent study has shown that tips left by diners also affected by such creations. Along with the letter itself, It is also important that the melodies are inspiring and cheerful.
In any case, there are indications that we're late to the party. The tremendous differences that music affects human behavior in different demographic segments are evident in several investigations and suggest that the level of exposure to music greatly influences on the incidence of the phenomenon.
A) Yes, youth used to listen to background music just shows differences in the way they consume when exposed to cheerful tracks and endearing lyrics. Conversely, older, who grew up in a technological context categorically different see their eagerness to buy will spur easily by listening to the appropriate tones.
also few studies have researched whether there is any correlation between the level of ambient noise existing in an establishment and sensory perceptions and anomalous behavior on the client. to get started, cause excessive noise is most insipid food. In fact, a study led by Charles Spence of Oxford University (United Kingdom) It attributes the bad taste of the menus in the aircraft cabin noise.
Nevertheless, until now, there was no study that it relate the volume of music with expected behaviors among customers.
With this premise in mind, a group of researchers Muma College of Business at the University of South Florida led by Dispayan Biswas was immersed in an interesting experiment to elucidate the question.
The effects of music on the decision of the clientele of restaurants
In the study "Sounds like atmosphere strategy healthy sales: effects of ambient music and background noise in sales of food ' published in the prestigious scientific journal Journal of the Academy of Marketing Sciences explains the details of the investigation; including background, the methods and conclusions.
The methodology in which the investigation was based was simple. Participants were divided into two groups, those who ate while listening to music at a volume of 55 decibel, and those who did undergo a much larger volume, from 70 decibel.
These two scales of loudness is well chosen music as below 50 dB difficult to listen, and sounds of 80 or more decibels are harmful to hearing.
Participants were to 178 modal age students 24 years. a balance between gender representation was maintained for possible biases between men and women. a preliminary survey was conducted for compatibility with participants used music (mainly Western classical music).
The experiments were as follows:
- Volume effects of ambient music for relaxation or excitement.
- Field experience in a cafeteria examining the effects on food sales.
- Effects of absence, presence and volume of the background music.
- Repeat the previous experiment with other musical genre.
- Replicating results using a sample larger.
- BGM and moderating effects induced relaxation.
- Field experiment in a supermarket.
In each of these sections important clues about how you can use the effects of music in restaurants to improve the user experience was obtained, Bragging social responsibility or improve local sales. Respectively, These were the conclusions:
- Nervousness increases with music volume since the heart rate It is marginally higher. This It can cause discomfort or making hasty decisions.
- The percentage of healthy foods sold is higher when the background music is soft, while lower sales volumes generally high.
- This experiment reproduced above under laboratory conditions to extract more precise percentages: he 86.36% of participants opted for healthier options with soft music in front of the 56.52% and the 50% it does when the volume is high or if there is no music, respectively.
- The effect is independent of the musical genre, This is demonstrated by using metal or rap during the investigation.
- The experiment further shows results shielding against different musical tastes represented among participants.
- If relaxation is induced (Participants arrive relaxed to experiment) previously observed effects are attenuated.
- The effect is extrapolated to other food establishments and endures even when a large number of items involved.
Consequences and conclusions drawn for the catering industry
What does this study for restaurateurs?
First the restaurant managers can influence consumer choices changing the music volume.
On the other hand, If the ambient noise can not be avoided by the local site, may be interested review the menu to incorporate a larger number of options interpreted as unhealthy (fried, fast food, etc).
As the experiment extracted penultimate, It also can mitigate the effect of environmental noise inducing relaxation in diners entering the restaurant if there is an opportunity to do.
Chains and franchises need to incorporate into their manual of good practices standard music volume to optimize sales. Leave this decision to the discretion of local managers or staff may have a significant impact on benefits.
The results of the research group revalue undoubtedly reviews applications and systems in which prime the existing level of noise in the local or the notes on the music volume, as is the case iHEARu.
However, consumers who do not want to be affected by these surreptitious marketing strategies need not strictly a app Mobile to prevent restaurants indicated, just relax before enjoying the experience.