For second consecutive Year, the leading consultant studies online reputation in the tourism sector in Spain, Vivential Value, rewrites his Online Reputation Index Restaurants publicando the iRON_Rtes'12, in which the level of online reputation of this industry is measured in Spain.
Online reputation and Restaurants
You can read my findings of the year 2011 iRON_Rtes'11 on the post that published under the title “10 conclusions about the best online reputation study conducted at restaurants.”
As you know those who are regular readers of my blog, online reputation is one of the pillars on which is based the SMR (Social Media Restauranting).
Customers increasingly are more likely to share their experiences through the Internet and social networks, both from fixed and mobile devices, and that groundswell of opinion linked to the customer's perception of service quality, of the product, of the price, etc., It is what forms the social reputation of the restaurants, an element with such force that is able to modify the decision of customers, dilute the influence of price and multiply profitability Restaurant.
Let's start with the study:
Sample Item :
The study was conducted with the accumulated data until October 2012, on 81.506 chips restaurants, bars and cafes present in the main portals of opinion and online reservations, distributed among 20 Spanish provinces and being analyzed 547.320 customer reviews.
Study Results :
1.- shared experiences:
There's a increase in new reviews the year 2012 in front of 2011 of the 93%, lo clientes han realizado en este año más de medio millón de valoraciones sobre restaurantes en los principales portales de Internet.
2.- Visibility restaurants:
He 56% restaurants have visibility online portals, that is to say, he 44% They are invisible to customers, which means that although it has a form with your data, They have no assessment by customers and therefore any degree of influence on the final decision of these.
When we compared to the previous year, there has been a slight increase in the visibility of the passing of restaurants 53% al 56%.
3.- Stability restaurants:
Alone he 24% restaurants are stable, whereby the 76% They are unstable, that is to say, have less than 10 reviews, so any new opinion is implying a high risk to the restaurant as it has a great influence on the final assessment of this, both positive and negative.
Compared with the year 2011, there has been a decrease in passing from unstable restaurants 82% al 76%.
4.- Concentration of valuations:
He 18% restaurants accumulate 75% valuations, there is a high degree of concentration in a few restaurants. Some 14.000 restaurants more than 81.000 included in the study accumulate practically all opinions.
Making the comparison with the previous year, can be seen as the degree of concentration has diversified, passing the 10% al 18% In this exercise.
5.- Degree of customer satisfaction:
He 29% restaurants with opinions analyzed have an assessment of their unsatisfactory experience (0-6), do not meet its expectations, he 48% It has a neutral rating (7-8), Y he 23% restaurants have an assessment of excellence (9-10), exceeding customer expectations.
Compared with the year 2011, decrease unsatisfactory experiences going from 36% al 29%, increase the neutral experiences 45% al 48% and also increase the highly successful experiences of 19% al 23%.
6.- Final result:
Once the index calculated based on different weights and taking into account all reviews, the volume of opinions and the importance of the sites where data have been extracted, the outcome of Online Reputation Index - "iRON_Rtes'12" is from about 7.63 10.
There is a very slight increase in the Index of Online Reputation year 2012 (= 7.63 iRON_Rtes'12) over the previous year (= 7.38 iRON_Rtes'11) from 0,25 points.
Serve as a curiosity that only three provinces in this index exceeded the 8 points, Tenerife, Mallorca and Malaga.
|#Concentration||75% / 10%||75% / 18%|
|#Very satifastoria experience||19%||23%|
- As you can be seen in the table conclusions, all items analyzed have improved over the previous year, although I recognize that in most of them is very slight increase. This growing trend shows that the restaurant industry in Spain, or at least a greater part than last year, está dándose cuenta de la importancia que una reputación online tiene en la sostenibilidad económica de un restaurante y como dirían los analistas de gráficos bursátiles, It is always better to be in favor of the trend.
- Online reputation, As I mentioned earlier in this article, es uno de los elementos básicos para garantizar el éxito de una estrategia en SMR (Social Media Restauranting), because every time customers of the restaurants are more influenced by the opinions and ratings that other Internet users move, as I demonstrated in my recent article “He 73% customers choose a restaurant by comments on social networks”
- Increased Reviews 2012 in front of 2011, although a large percentage of 93%, I'm not surprised, is the cause of two factors, a rotation part in socialization strategy for the contents of most of the major portals reserves and other national restaurants, the enormous thrust begin to have international websites in our country as Tripadvisor, Zagat, Yelp, etc,.
- Access by customers, mainly through their mobile, portals opinion is becoming more common, generating an increasing tendency to talk and share on social networking sites personal experiences of something as common as going to a restaurant, this being considered as a relevant content which undoubtedly influences the inspiration phase of portal users.
- The huge amount of invisible restaurants on the portals of opinion, clearly demonstrates that the sector has not yet become aware of the enormous importance in their daily lives can have online customer feedback, both negative and positive, Unfortunately believing that the process begins and ends being discharged an online form with four photos and a description, without understanding that as every management process takes time, learning strategy.
- That he 76% of being unstable restaurants is another example that the sector is not taking advantage of the competitive edge which represents the views of its customers, the fact that their own customers are those who move the excellence of its restaurant is the shortest way to get new customers and the financial solvency of this.
- A group of “privileged”, a 18% that if you give importance to customer feedback and online reputation of your restaurant and you are knowing take advantage of the increased visibility and the social content so influential generating a steady stream of new customers or new reserves that feeds the process and which in many cases it makes him the new influencers and leaders of its market.
- Ignorance of potential of social networks by some owners / managers of restaurants and fear of the bad reviews are the main reasons for not using social environments, aunque debiera ser más lógico pensar en la increíble y gratuita oportunidad que tu cliente te está dando para poder cambiar algún elemento que no funciona y no seguir perdiendo más clientes que inexorablemente lleven al cierre del restaurante.
- Although the percentage of very satisfying experience has increased from 19% al 23%, It is a very worrying statistic in a country that aspires to turn the food in general, and not just haute cuisine, one of the few economic resources that make us out of this crisis.
In closing I would like to share one last thought, undoubtedly have a positive and stable reputation will be a key competitive differentiator in choosing a restaurant by customers, For this they have to open their doors to promote social environments that customers can tell their stories, But we should never forget that reputation is a result of the customer's perception of work or services performed, so the only secret there to get better online reputation of a restaurant It is to improve work or service, that is to say, la búsqueda constante de la excelencia offline.
I would like to know your opinion, What do you think of online reputation, You think it is important to get new customers?