Human empathy has had a long evolution throughout history and prehistory. To kill the defeated in war he went on to make them slaves, then slaves were granted rights, Today we try to minimize the disadvantages between individuals and even project our empathy to those who are not of our own species.
vegetarianism, he veganismo or even frugivorismo They are answers to this growing human empathy. But all these dietary philosophies are accompanied by important nutritional challenges. We eat meat provides essential proteins without juggle menus or turn to synthetic supplements.
In any case, Empathy is not the only reason underlying movements against the consumption of meat. In brief, The following points illustrate the various benefits that entails avoiding consumption:
- Safeguard the welfare of animals. Intensive livestock farms cram animals, They keep them in unhygienic conditions, no chance to live in dignity and often being subjected to unhealthy or harmful procedures.
- Human health care. recently World Health Organization He has released the carcinogenic potential of processed meat products. Consumption of such foods has soared in recent years to the detriment of fresh meat. Ingesting foods that use them as ingredients it is also related to a increased incidence of cardiovascular disease. The reality is that there are few human societies have successfully adapted to the high protein diets.
- Reduction of gas emissions greenhouse effect and minimization of livestock ground pressure and environment. This is one of the justifications that more comes up among those under thirty years. There is a not inconsiderable bibliographic pointing to livestock (especially bovine) as one of the activities that contribute to climate change.
- Control of the family economy. Meat protein source foods are among the higher priced than a usual family consumes. further, the trend to higher product promotes in many households gradually reduce consumption.
It would vegetarian one 21.8% of the population if there is an alternative that does not enter into conflict with the above?
It seems unlikely.
Precisely because we are at that crossroads. Thanks to the latest advances in animal muscle cell culture in vitro soon we could be talking about authentic farms laboratory meat, indistinguishable in texture, taste and smell of the meat of life, but ethics, cheap and environmentally friendly.
According to advance the technical aspects that will make this fantasy a reality, also arise new market research lay the foundation for what will be its future commercialization.
And we have recently witnessed the release of one of these reports. Illustrating one US consumer interest for this product.
A new market study shows that consumer acceptance will be higher than expected previously
So far the few conclusions that were drawn from surveys related to laboratory meat had left a sour taste in the mouths of those visionary professionals involved in its development.
The new study, directed by Faunalytics, NGO animal rights, He has made a survey in which participated 1185 adult US citizens earlier this year.
The questionnaire started doing the caller know what meat laboratory, what are its advantages and what disadvantages compared to the traditional way of getting meat.
Then, participants had access to one of the four extracts text delved on the subject. Each of these writings had a different message background: one cell culture linked with similar processes as fermentation of dairy and alcohol, another impinged on the underlying perversion of the way in which meat products are achieved today, a third text disassociated artificiality or naturalness of the products fit for human consumption, the final text was an overview of the pros and cons of meat laboratory (Text Control).
The results from the survey are encouraging. While it is not unthinkable that may have introduced bias given the methodology. In any case, This market study is one of the most current and comprehensive, so that the conclusions drawn are informative. Here are some of the most striking:
- He 66% US citizens. THE. They would be willing to try the meat laboratory.
- He 53% of respondents would not mind completely base their consumption of meat in meat laboratory.
- He 46% of the participants would buy meat laboratory on a regular basis.
- A 40% They would also willing to pay extra for ethical benefits and on health and the planet itself inherent to the product. Among those who read the text control the percentage dropped two points, while those that were informed about the hardships they farm animals showed an increased willingness (47%).
- From a marketer perspective it should not obsess about the artificial nature of the meat laboratory; It is better associate the new product to a positive message.
- Is evident the need for greater efforts to publicize the existence of the industry. Only a quarter of respondents knew the lab meat before.
- Meat substitutes made from plant-derived products would be overshadowed by laboratory meat.
- Positive aspects involved laboratory meat are convincing. At least one 85.2% of citizens trust the benefits of the product.
Meat laboratory has the potential to become one of the most talked about trends in the next decade restoration. First as a unique experience open to everyone, and then as a solution for vegetarians for ethical reasons, Nostalgic a good steak.