The internet of things, also known by its acronym IoT, It is the logical evolution of the network as we know it today. While once only computers were connected to each other, now it is intended that all electronic devices have the capacity to own internet.
In the words of Jacob Morgan, popularizer media technology, the internet of things is defined as "the physical objects composed equipped electronic network, software, sensors and interconnectivity enabling them to collect and exchange data».
It may seem banal, but quickly changed his mind when taken into consideration the predictive metrics provided by Intel: in 2020 there will be 200 000 million Internet-connected devices; that is to say, 26 For each person. Any prediction is made on the volume of data produced will be, certainly, down.
In consecuense, It is expected to IoT applications and macrodata generate synergies with a new productive economy, based on an intelligent interpretation of this volume of information was hidden and inescrutado.
Catering industry professionals are no strangers to the benefits of technology. However, as the generalization of these technological innovations for restaurants is next, the question is whether agree to have the internet of things regardless of the specific circumstances of the local.
Regular readers of our website and know that is not the case, but today we delve into the issue.
Pros of IoT in restoration
There are many fronts on which we can apply the internet of things, these are some of the highlights:
- Automation service customization. Dimmers, local system controls air conditioned, commands to configure resting couches articulated, dials to set the temperature of the heating and similar controls directly linked to the comfort of diners at the table assigned allow the collection of data on customer preferences on site and on inefficiencies on which it would be necessary to act. This information can be interpreted as a business asset if it is used as a differentiator enhancer resource and user experience. Through a combination of internet of things and software client relations management can increase customer satisfaction recurrent offering an experience as, customized based on previous data collected about you in situ. Something that has been coined as hiperpersonalización
- Predictive Maintenance. Kitchen appliances, POS terminals, interactive kiosks and, definitely, all work items in the local are likely to fail. This rule affects both mechanical machinery as electronic. Falls drawer. What is not so obvious it is that many of the problems that arise every day with these devices in restaurants patterns are difficult to discern at a glance. It may be a stuck drink from the vending machine, a capful of soap and grease down the drain the dishwasher, a sensor that does not perform its function properly in the hood ... When these incidents managers try to address them as best they can appear without incurring large expenses or losses. IoT in restoration allows accurate tracking of the state where the machines are equipped with such technology. Increasingly common kitchen appliances, Electronics and Industrial specialized equipment that comes equipped as standard with Self-diagnostic tools. Nor is it uncommon for systems are examined periodically automatically, offering the manufacturer itself performs a remote evaluation, detects and reports problems if necessary repairs or preventive maintenance.
- Reduced maintenance costs. This aspect is of particular interest to the restoration organized as this segment of the industry uses own employees to perform maintenance, prevention and meter reading. All these fronts can be managed through paths IoT interfaces from a central computer, significantly reducing the need for specialized employees on staff, with the usual wage savings that this entails.
- Integration with mobile client terminals. Despite leading us almost two decades, smartphones are far from becoming obsolete. According to the fabric of the internet of things moving, beginning to appear new applications. Is the case, for example, orders via mobile phone in bar and table, O customer identification as local input. When the technology installed in the establishment works with electronics comandita most widespread household consumption (he 85% of the population has mobile phone) waiting times are reduced service, congestions, errors in food orders, Diner uncertainty and dissatisfaction. They are all points that one way or another positively influence the perceived quality of service and potentially also will take a similar effect on local revenues.
- integration software third and API. The internet of things is still in its infancy. Applications we see today are those that have greater processing capacity on business. Nevertheless, according to the barrier down access to technology, it is expected that more developers publish tools to eliminate inefficiencies in very specific tasks or to provide improved services to a niche market strongly focused.
negative aspects of the Internet of Things
What is cooked behind the scenes? Despite the improvements they bring the IoT systems are plentiful restoration, restorers can not overlook the potential risks.
The following are some of the negative aspects that must be considered at all times when deciding whether the internet of things is right for our business:
- Increased susceptibility to suffer computer attacks. The more points communications and software are used, Most likely the group is not as tight as it would. Security breaches and data filtering private are great challenges that restorers are forced to face today. Are substantial cases of restaurants hacked, They include recognized franchises such as Cheddar's Scratch Kitchen, Harvey’s, Chipotle o Wendy’s, and always results in a deterioration in the confidence of consumers about the business and public image of the brand. The worst thing you can do is ignore managers the possibility that they may be attacked. should know the software used and have the services of a specialized consulting cybersecurity, both are good palliative measures.
- Dilution of ownership of the equipment and the right to reparation. Self-diagnosis tools are double-edged swords. While it is undeniable usefulness, It is at the discretion of the company how they are used. In response to the developments in other markets, more specifically the sale of agricultural machinery, manufacturing companies could monopolizing repair machines What do you sell. It is also a possibility that the impact of steepens obsolescence in industrial equipment. With the emergence of new models enabled devices a few years may no longer be supported, forcing the acquisition of new material at the end of each development cycle established by the manufacturer.
In general, the benefits of the IoT in the restoration far outweigh its disadvantages. Like is logic, It corresponds make a preliminary assessment of the impact it would have on our local technology before pouncing to accept it, It could be the case to bring more headaches than benefits.